Sarah of Watershed Floral is a Maine wedding florist and was one of the first in the wedding industry in Maine that I got to collaborate with on a shoot (you can view that elopement shoot and Sarah’s killer florals here) and I knew I wanted to showcase her beauties on my blog and let you all know a little bit more about her. Keep on scrolling to get acquainted with the face behind this Maine wedding florist, Watershed Floral.
- Tell me a little bit about yourself and Maine wedding florist business and why you started it
I grew up in Maine, went away for college, realized Maine is awesome, and came back. I’ve called Portland home for nearly 14 years. My floral journey began at Kennebec Flower Farm
in Bowdoinham, ME where I worked for several years, literally learning about flowers from the ground up. I’ve always had an entrepreneurial spirit, so when customers at the farmers’ market started asking me if I did flower arrangements for events, my wheels began to turn. I quietly grew Watershed over the course of a few years, while still working full time as a teacher, and six years ago, I took the leap into full-time flowering. I still have a lot to learn about owning a business, but I love what I do, the people I work with, and all the beautiful places this job takes me.
- Where are you based and who do you serve? Do you travel for weddings?
I’m based in Portland, Maine and serve anyone looking for beautiful flower arrangements. I currently travel for weddings throughout New England.
- Do you source some of your flowers from local flower farms? Do you have any favorite farms you like to work with? Any farms that are open to the public to visit that you know of?
- How would you describe your style of floral design? How has your style evolved over the years?
Seasonal, natural, somewhat wild. I’ve definitely become more comfortable and confident as a designer over the years, which I feel is reflected in my work. I think my style has become bolder and more distinctive as I’m learned to trust my instincts when designing.
- For those couples or their guests who are having their wedding in Maine but aren’t from here where would you suggest they go to explore Maine while they’re here?
Such a great question! Where do I start?! Visitors should definitely explore all the delicious food here in Portland. Check out the website Portland Food Map
for recommendations. Wolfe’s Neck Farm
and Wolfe’s Neck State Park are both beautiful. Downtown Brunswick has great shops and restaurants. Popham Beach in Phippsburg is one of my faves. The midcoast – Wiscasset. Rockport. Camden. Western Maine is also lovely. Bridgton and Norway are great little towns.
- If you’re not designing beautiful flower arrangements, what are you doing?
Adventuring with my family. Running. Gardening. Knitting. Cooking.